Edward Shanken aanwezig op Vrijdag, 17 April, 2009, 17:00 - 19:00 // Gratis
BOOK-LAUNCH // DISCUSSION // PERFORMANCE // CELEBRATION
NETHERLANDS MEDIA ART INSTITUTE
Keizersgracht 264, Amsterdam
Friday, 17 April, 2009, 5pm
To celebrate the publication of Art and Electronic Media, the most comprehensive and authoritative survey of new media art, NIMk will host the international book-launch.
• Edward Shanken, the author, will share insights and highlights, answer questions,and autograph copies of the book, for sale at 37% discount (cash only)
• Annet Dekker will lead a discussion with the author and the audience
• Yolande Harris (NIMk resident artist, 2008) will perform new electronic music
• DJ Sniff will spin yarns of digital vinyl during the reception
Art and Electronic Media (Phaidon, 2009) demonstrates the formidable history of artistic uses of electronic media. Over 200 artists and institutions from more than thirty countries are represented. It enables the rich genealogy of art and electronic media to be seen –
literally and figuratively – as central to the histories of art and visual culture.
Praise for Art and Electronic Media:
• “It is a superb work of scholarship, marked by clarity, subtlety, and comprehensive vision. Art and Electronic Media does us all a great service. More than any other publication that I know of, it will bring our field of practice into the mainstream of art.”
- Roy Ascott • “It’s the best book of its kind”
– Casey Reas
• “This book will be quoted for decades to come”
– Eduardo Kac
Edward Shanken is Universitair Docent, New Media, University of Amsterdam. Expert on historic and emerging new media practices in visual culture. http://artexetra.com
Annet Dekker is program manager at Virtueel Platform and former head of exhibitions and education at NIMk. Also an independent curator and Ph.D. candidate at Goldsmiths College.
Yolande Harris is a composer and artist working with sound, image and space in a technologically extended environment. Artist-in-residence at NIMk in 2007-8. http://yolandeharris.net
DJ Sniff (Takuro Mizuta Lippit) is a turntablist and researcher/curator in music technology. Artistic Director of STEIM, Studio for Electro-Instrumental Music. http://www.djsniff.com/
For more information on the book, see Art and Electronic Media: http://artelectronicmedia.wordpress.com/
17.00 - 19.00 uur